A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#105759 by Littlejohn
14 Mar 2006, 15:41
Well I think the time has come to choose one day or the other (Reminds me of a song, but that is another thread). Then we can get on with booking tickets and maybe some coordinated hotel booking. Your shout Mcuth/Jaqu.
#105768 by mcuth
14 Mar 2006, 15:53
Agreed Jeremy [y]

Only 5 people expressed a preference of which day, and 4 of those were for Saturday. So, looks to me like Satdi 22nd July (probably best too, if we're getting ratted!). I'll start working out the ticket stuff now.

Cheers

Michael
#105774 by Littlejohn
14 Mar 2006, 15:56
Thanks Michael. Should I look at some local hotels to see if we can get a bonza rate?
#105779 by mcuth
14 Mar 2006, 16:06
Originally posted by sailor99
Thanks Michael. Should I look at some local hotels to see if we can get a bonza rate?

Sure - I got a feeling they might be a tad expensive though ;)

Cheers

Michael
#105790 by Littlejohn
14 Mar 2006, 16:36
Have done some checks. Its worst than that. The nearest I am finding with any availabilty is Reading, which seems a tad silly.
#105805 by mcuth
14 Mar 2006, 17:21
Have done some checks. Its worst than that. The nearest I am finding with any availabilty is Reading, which seems a tad silly.

Camping in Jacq's garden then?

Cheers

Michael
#105807 by Littlejohn
14 Mar 2006, 17:25
Does she keep gators in the garden though?
#105904 by buns
14 Mar 2006, 23:11
I will let Mrs B know that she is now "busy" on the Saturday;);)

Thanks

buns
#105982 by GatorBaiter
15 Mar 2006, 08:07
I'll fight the gators into the shed just for you guys ;). All campers welcome, but there's limited space! Got a spare double bed, a double blow up (bed that is) and some floor space if anyone wants?
#105994 by MarkJ
15 Mar 2006, 09:04
Why dont we all just hire a load of caravans and turn up outside Jacq's like a load of caravanners!!!!!

Bet that would put up the prices in the neighbourhood??
#106097 by GatorBaiter
15 Mar 2006, 14:03
Er, cheers for that Mark. [ii] Anything to bring down the council tax!

The brand new Travelodge in the middle of Guildford seems to have rooms...

Shortened URL

I checked for the maximum 4 rooms and they are available. They do event rates for the Air Show too, as you will see on the site. It's not the closest but is approx 8 miles and 10 mins from mine and an easy journey.

I have been looking about at other local B&Bs, hotels etc but nothing is showing availablity though possibly one room at Aldershot Premier Travel Inn if you're quick.

The offer of the spare room, blow up bed, floor space and camping space is still open? For any campers, there is garden and a big open area opposite my house and you can of course use bathrooms etc

Hope that helps!
#106140 by mcuth
15 Mar 2006, 16:15
Booking details now added to the first post in this thread, and sent by PM to all expressing interest.

Cheers

Michael
#106181 by MarkJ
15 Mar 2006, 19:01
Checked on hotels in the area - the Travel Inn Chain has vacancies at all their properties except for the one in Farnborough.

Their rate is about £60 per room per nigth and you can sleep 4 in a room - if you dont mind a squeeze - they are ideal for 2!!!

Im booked in already!!!

[^]
#106184 by RichardMannion
15 Mar 2006, 19:37
I may be able to attend, quick silly Q though, do we need grandstand tickets? Aren't we looking up in the air, and I don't recall much sitting around being done at any V-Flyer social I've been to?

Thanks,
Richard
#106227 by mcuth
15 Mar 2006, 21:31
Originally posted by RichardMannion
I may be able to attend, quick silly Q though, do we need grandstand tickets? Aren't we looking up in the air, and I don't recall much sitting around being done at any V-Flyer social I've been to?

We're right on the borderline of getting the group booking discount, so I really need "Yes" or "No" answers as soon as possible at this stage mate :) If we go below the 20 threshold, there's no point in doing the booking all in one.

Personally speaking, I'd like the grandstand tickets - after being there 2 years ago, I think the display would be much easier to watch from there rather than trying to find a patch of grass for 20 of us to watch it from. You're the first person to mention this when the thread's been up for 2 months, so I'd presumed that everyone was ok with that? So, while we're confirming attendance or not, quick yays or nays from everyone please on the grandstand please....

Cheers

Michael
#106236 by RichardMannion
15 Mar 2006, 21:59
Hi Michael,

Sorry if I have walked in late and caused an issue [:#]

Its my ignorance really, as strange as it may sound, I have never been to an air show. If its really crowded then I would be better off not attending as I don't get on well with lots of people in confined spaces. Can someone who's been before give me a 101 on what its likely to be like on the Saturday.

Thanks,
Richard
#107189 by Littlejohn
20 Mar 2006, 13:00
OK, have been trying to swing something else around (Family birthday party on the Sunday in the west country) and what ever way I try and do it I fail. Unfortunately we will really have to go down there the night before, so I am afraid I am going to have to cry off.

I understand this may take you below the groop booking discount, and I am really sorry about that. I am afraid it really is unavoidable.

Initial post modified accordingly.
#107224 by pegitt
20 Mar 2006, 18:24

I understand this may take you below the groop booking discount, and I am really sorry about that. I am afraid it really is unavoidable.

Ah i may be able to help us out there as i will be going both days with another group of friendsso will need tickets for them [y]
#107266 by mcuth
20 Mar 2006, 22:07
Originally posted by RichardMannion
Sorry if I have walked in late and caused an issue [:#]

Not really - I just didn't see anyone else saying anything about the proposal :)

Its my ignorance really, as strange as it may sound, I have never been to an air show. If its really crowded then I would be better off not attending as I don't get on well with lots of people in confined spaces. Can someone who's been before give me a 101 on what its likely to be like on the Saturday.

The "confined spaces" are only in the indoors exhibits - everything else is outside. Even though there's lots of people around, it's all out in the open. Does that help?

Unfortunately we will really have to go down there the night before, so I am afraid I am going to have to cry off.

No worries.

Originally posted by pegitt
Ah i may be able to help us out there as i will be going both days with another group of friendsso will need tickets for them [y]

Cool - let me know asap please....

Cheers

Michael
#107322 by Littlejohn
21 Mar 2006, 09:55
Originally posted by pegitt

Great! That's made me feel a bit less guilty.
#108107 by milehigh
25 Mar 2006, 02:50
Im quite local to Fanborough so if im off Ill be going at some point
#108163 by mcuth
25 Mar 2006, 12:32
Originally posted by milehigh
Im quite local to Fanborough so if im off Ill be going at some point

Oooh, does that mean you want adding to our list for the Saturday (22nd)? :)

Cheers

Michael
#108283 by mcuth
25 Mar 2006, 23:49
All

Due to lack of numbers, Jacq's evening BBQ/pissup has now been cancelled. Would those previously interested in the BBQ now be interested in an alternative for that evening? Namely going to a local pub and getting trashed? ;)

Cheers

Michael
#108295 by GatorBaiter
26 Mar 2006, 08:13
I'm still happy for people to leave cars here and give lifts, plus if anyone wants to stay over too, that's fine. Can also recommend some local pubs?
Virgin Atlantic