This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961477 by ColOrd
28 Jul 2021, 18:49
I'm still not convinced that joining SkyTeam is the right thing for VS, in the exact same way that commercially they themselves have never really been keen on the idea. As they are still an independent, albeit highly aligned with SkyTeam, it's independence is probably what allows it major feed from Star Alliance carriers such as ANA, SQ and SAS. I'm not sure giving up those long standing partnerships would benefit VS in favour of being a SkyTeam member
#961483 by tontybear
28 Jul 2021, 23:58
Being in a formal alliance incurs significant cost to an airline.

It's one of the reasons why Aer Lingus and Vueling aren't members of One World despite being owned by the same company as BA and IB .

I think Delta have said they see the future as being more individual links between them and other airlines on particular routes rather than the Sky Team alliance.

It's been almost 10 years since Delta bought its 49% stake in VS from SQ and VS still haven't joined Sky Team. SQ owned that 49% for more then 10 years yet VS never joined Star Alliance.