This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962807 by Planelover
21 Nov 2023, 19:29
Looks like the tier points for upgrades has be sublty updated in section 14 here

To get full tier points it now looks like you have to call and upgrade (before 24 hours?) and specifically request a non-promo upgrade or upgrade a reward ticket with miles. Sneaky change - i was planning to take up upgrade in the app to renew.

14. Flying Club Members will receive Virgin Points and tier points depending on the type of upgrade, as follows:
a) When you purchased a revenue ticket (not using any Virgin Points), and you upgrade to a higher cabin using Virgin Points, you will earn Points and tier points according to the original fare, before the upgrade.

b) If you upgrade your flight with a promotional rate (online or through the website) or via Your Bid, you will earn Points and tier points according to the original fare, before the upgrade.

c) If you purchased a full reward ticket with Virgin Points and you upgrade to a higher cabin using more Points, you will earn tier points for the upgraded cabin.

d) Members who have purchased cash upgrades within 24 hours of departure, on any type of ticket, will receive the original Virgin Points and tier points according to the original fare, before the upgrade.
#962816 by CommanderB
22 Nov 2023, 12:11
This is a tad annoying but realistically only affects a small number of people.

You always been entitled to the underlying points for cash fares that were upgraded with points, this is just making that more clear. It will only work properly if the computer systems that work all this out have been sorted out (which I doubt).

I think the main effect here is low premium fare buckets (K and H) going to Z at the airport.
#962820 by CommanderB
22 Nov 2023, 12:30
Planelover wrote:@Commander B - Not so sure as (d) says any ticket upgraded within 24 hours.

You are right about systems catching up though as some have reported getting full tier points while others haven't.

D reads to me as "cash upgrades at the airport get the underlying ticket points". I.e. you are in Premium (K or H) and upgrade to Upper (Z), then you get K/H tier points. (Ultimately S and W won't be affected as they earn the same as Z anyway).

I expect what's going to happen is the airport cash upgrades will be re-ticketed as G buckets rather than Z to solve* this problem).

*Will only be partially solved because rewards are still G so it will take some other magic to know the difference between a reward and an upgrade.
#962877 by Planelover
29 Nov 2023, 13:11
alexr wrote:To clarify: if I book up front with points into a P or G ticket (based on availability), I will still get the tier points, including any upgrade I do from P to G when availability opens up?

If you book up front with points, you will get full tier points for that fare.

If you then upgrade with a reward seat with points, you'll get the tier points for the upgraded fare.

However, if you upgrade with cash, say at the airport or bid for upgrade, you will only get the tier points for the original booking.
#963020 by Mattonlaptop
20 Dec 2023, 20:22
Planelover wrote:
alexr wrote:To clarify: if I book up front with points into a P or G ticket (based on availability), I will still get the tier points, including any upgrade I do from P to G when availability opens up?

If you book up front with points, you will get full tier points for that fare.

If you then upgrade with a reward seat with points, you'll get the tier points for the upgraded fare.

However, if you upgrade with cash, say at the airport or bid for upgrade, you will only get the tier points for the original booking.

I upgraded with cash over the phone in advance, do I get points for the new booking or original?

Many thanks,
Matt
Virgin Atlantic