For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#963549 by pjh
13 Mar 2024, 16:58
Can anyone help with Addison Lee’s excess mileage calculation?

Background is this:
When considering whether to take the offered EK chauffeur service from just outside of Cambridge to LGW, we were told additional cost would be calculated on the basis of “driven miles”. We sat down and calculated the excess mileage, applied the cost t&c and decided it was financially sensible to accept the (likely) excess over and above sourcing a car locally or getting the train and holding up for the night at LGW.

When we received the confirmation of the car at on line check in, we received a wee bit of a shock, for whereas we had calculated on the basis of an excess of 36 miles (using Google maps and the AA route finder) the figure given is based on an excess of 75 miles. I have queried this with both EK and Addison Lee, and they are blaming each other. At 48 hours notice it not proved impossible to make alternative arrangements and are stuck with a wince inducing additional cost. (£245 vs £102)

On further queries, Addison Lee tell me;

1. They use “Google Miles” rather than “Google Maps” to calculate the mileage.

2. They use an average of 3 likely routes to deliver the driven miles. Given (by my calculations) 2 of those routes would be 110 miles and 120 miles (M25 clockwise and anti clock wise), the 3rd route would have to be 200+ miles to arrive at 145 miles “average”

Does anyone know what “Google Miles” is?
How can it be fair practise to deliver an average of “driven miles” the basis of an opaque calculation, leaving aside the issue of it being revealed on 48 hours before the flight?

The actual miles driven were 110 (including an extended diversion to avoid traffic), giving Addison Lee an effective additional mileage rate of £5+ per mile, over double that advertised.
Paul