Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#963889 by mitchja
29 Apr 2024, 19:09
This was a reward flight using a credit card upgrade voucher (1 of 3 vouchers I had on my account) so cost me 35,000 points + £1004.

Plenty of reward availability so picked one of the A339 flights. I didn't bother looking at MAN departures as I still prefer flying VS from LHR even with the added cost of a hotel and train fare. I've no issues with the A/C or the crew based at MAN, it's just the poor airport facilities that always let VS down at MAN.

Travelled down the previous day using the train from Skipton>Leeds>London King's Cross as usual. Stayed at my usual LHR T4 Crowne Plaza hotel as well. I'd booked Parker Cars to pick me up from the hotel and drive me to the Upper Class Wing the following morning. Managed to use my AmEx card IHG spend £300 and get £75 back offer there even with the hotel not setting up my room account to allow hotel charges! The Amex offer still worked even with 3 separate charges all separately under the offer trigger limit, however, cumulative spend does seem to count.

The following morning, Parker Cars arrived 15 mins early to pick me up and before long I was being dropped off in the Upper Class Wing. I was warmly welcomed and I was soon making my way back out to the standard priority security lane. Everything can now be left in your bags for priority security as both lanes have the new 3D scanners and body scanners. Lots of pax (including me) were getting pulled for a separate 'random' shoe / foot check. Shoes seem to be able to be left on now. The overall screening process did seem quicker now as the unpacking before / repacking after steps are now eliminated. I was asked to remove my belt was I loaded my bag and jacket into the trays. I noticed 1 bag in front of mine getting pulled for a manual secondary search.

VS did send me an SMS the previous day with a link asking if I wanted to use the LHR T3 pre-bookable security time slot option. This does have its separate security lane as I noticed this lane was the one immediately to your left as you exit the Upper Class Wing check-in area.

Headed up to the Clubhouse and I was warmly welcomed. A few changes since I was last there. The pool table has gone from the loft area and the Peloton's have gone replaced with a seating area. After some breakfast I headed up to my usual place in the loft. There's a one or two extra tables and chairs up there now as well.

Service was great in the Clubhouse whilst I was there. The VS45 departure was scheduled for 12:55 and the flight was called until 12:35 so there was no way we were going to depart on time today. G-VTOM was waiting at gate 19. I was warmed welcomed on-board. The A/C was very warm and stuffy. The FSM and captain both apologised for this. I noticed an air conditioning truck pull up and connect to the A/C. They didn't say as much but I suspect the APU was not functioning.

As soon as I'd settled down in my seat, the FSM came and introduced himself to me, thanking me for being a Flying Club Gold member as well as offering me a large bottle of water for the flight. He was a very hands on FSM taking the time to speak to all the pax individually in Upper Class. Pre-departure drinks offered which was either sparkling wine, water, juice or a tequila cocktail. Only 1 empty seat in J and not many other empty seats either in Premium and Economy. The 12:55 departure came and went. Nothing seems to be happening for quite a while. I don't know what the delay was? The captain was using the 'paperwork' reason, all the time the cabin was getting warmer and warmer. The door was closed and we finally pushed back at 13:47. As we did all the cabin lights and IFE powered down and didn't come back on until one of the engines was started up.

A bit of a taxi round LHR as usual with the cabin finally cooling down a little and we rotated at 14:09. The cabin did seem to remain overly-warm the entire flight.

Once the seat belt sign turned off, drink and dinner orders were taken. I'd already pre-order the sea bream. Picked the roasted red pepper soup for my starter. Whilst I’m not a fan of peppers, the soup was actually very tasty. The sea bream main course was also very tasty as well. Finished off with the tiramisu. Overall I found this new menu very enjoyable.

I watched a couple of films on the IFE. Just a shame the A339’s don’t have the outside tail or belly cameras. As already mentioned elsewhere, the Boingo WiFi login is no longer available. You can get up to 2 x 20 minute free WiFi sessions if you watch a short ad. I think WiFi was ~£4.99 for 1 hour or ~£17.99 for the full flight. Sorry but in this day and age, on-board WiFi should be free for at least Upper Class and / or Flying Club Gold passengers. The wireless charging mats would only work if I removed my iPhone case.

A few pax used the loft during the flight. I didn't bother this time. The crew were also on hand or passing through the cabin if you needed anything. The afternoon snack was served around 90mins before landing. I had the barbecue pulled chicken burger which was delicious though messy to eat!

Despite departing nearly an hour late, we landed pretty much on time. I said good bye to the crew and headed to immigration. We were right behind the VS9.

Immigration at JFK was as messy as always. The standard lanes looked extremely busy, pretty much backed up to the immigration hall entrance from the arrival gates Global Entry sent me for a manual check (again). Ever since I replaced my passport last year I now get a manual photo / finger print check after using the GE machines. I just wonder if it’s because I didn’t take my glasses off as my new passport photo doesn’t have me with my glasses on; the e-gates at UK airports without fail always throw me out was well and that’s with trying both with and without my glasses on.

I was sent to the crew lane but even that had a 20 minute wait as random pax seemed to be pushed in front by assistance staff and taking ages to get processed. Most of them also got the red light and which means they are pulled for secondary checks. Once at the desk I was processed without any issues though. The agent did ask if I lived in the US as I seem to travel quite a lot to the US?

By the time I reached the luggage carousel, all bags were already coming off. No other pax waiting so I guess they were still all stuck in the standard lines.

It wasn’t too bad overall as I was heading up to the airtrain then the blue E subway line within 45 minutes or so of landing.

The JFK airtrain is now $8.50 if you connect to other subway lines which is a rip-off! It’s still free for inter-terminal connections and you only pay as you enter Jamaica station. If you are lucky and it’s very busy they often just open all the barriers to reduce congestion which means you end up not having to pay for the air train bit; as that happened to me last year.

Overall a fantastic VS flight run by a stellar FSM. All the crew were a credit to VS. This has been fed back to VS as I always make sure positive flights get fed back as well as negative ones :)
#963894 by VS075
29 Apr 2024, 21:41
Thanks for the TR. Sounds like a good experience all round.

Out of interest, are the new scanners now in use across all security lanes in T3 or just the priority lanes? We’ll be passing through heaving to UVF a week on Sunday.
#963895 by mitchja
Yesterday, 08:21
VS075 wrote:Out of interest, are the new scanners now in use across all security lanes in T3 or just the priority lanes? We’ll be passing through heaving to UVF a week on Sunday.

I really couldn’t say sorry as the priority security is completely separate to standard security with priority bringing you out near Boots rather than the other side of departures where the normal security and the Upper class Wing security brings you out which then feeds you into the duty free shop.