This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#965542 by steve7612
31 Jul 2022, 18:44
Appreciate like many airlines virgin is struggling with operations and Heathrow and making last minute changes. We’ve become victim the the dreaded a350 to 787 swap on a flight to JFK which while I believe is very poor (completely different standard of products) I do know they have the right to do with without providing and apology or compensation unfortunately.

When the plane change happened our seat reservations went out the window and we were put in random seats apart. Having fixed this the other week we checked and our seats have shuffled again, splitting us up but not the original ones (so definitely wasn’t a case of not saving the changes). Our options are rubbish now and customer service have been no help. Am I being unreasonable here or is this quite common and do I need to keep checking every day to make sure we don’t get split up again?
#965544 by OCdreamin
31 Jul 2022, 21:37
From limited personal experience and other peoples posts it appears to be typical, and I also don’t understand why. If the smaller aircraft better suites the load, you would expect a good proportion of people would be allocated ‘similar’ seat positions. But it doesn’t seem to work that way.
#965545 by zjc
31 Jul 2022, 22:11
Similar experience here!

MIA flight went from A330 to 787.

Our 22A & 22C somehow went to 25F & G despite the fact 22A&C exist on a 787.

Customer Service response in a semi polite manner was “go away” we have the right to do this and nothing you say will result in it changing.

I get these things happen, but there’s no warning or apology from Virgin and there customer service team are getting worse.

I was told the computer decides the reallocation. I think some tweaks are needed for when the same seats exist on both aircraft.

I wouldn’t have booked the flights had I not been able to get the seats I picked, would have gone for a different route.
#965551 by jonathanb
02 Aug 2022, 02:34
This has been going on for years and creates so much pre flight stress.

On the trip I am on now one of the UC seats was broken so they moved our 10 year old to a different part of upper class. The stupidity of this is obvious, VS have that horrible pop up on the seat map telling you not to put under 12's on their own. We managed to change things a bit but after having the flight booked for 11 months we were split up for our flight.

Cabin crew tried and failed to get us together. There is I think a disconnect between price and service right now with VS, with prices the way they are for UC if you split a family up please email or call them with an actual solution.

Jonathan.
#965557 by steve7612
02 Aug 2022, 19:03
I partially understand the change of aircraft and it is incredibly annoying given how different the products are, however my main gripe is the subsequent seat change… does anyone know how when I booked seats on the new place someone could kick me out of that seat when the aircraft hasn’t changed?

On that note if you were a single traveller in 9a would you swap with someone so a couple could be in 9a and 10a together? We had those originally but Virgin changed us to 8a and 10a!
#965573 by 747G-VXLG
03 Aug 2022, 22:28
Today’s VS74 MCO-MAN and tomorrow’s VS73 MAN-MCO has been switched from one of the leisure A350s to one of the LHR A350s. These will both be operated by G-VPOP. As of tomorrow, G-VPRD will be the only A350 to not have visited MAN.
#965584 by Howesy
05 Aug 2022, 12:08
steve7612 wrote:I partially understand the change of aircraft and it is incredibly annoying given how different the products are, however my main gripe is the subsequent seat change… does anyone know how when I booked seats on the new place someone could kick me out of that seat when the aircraft hasn’t changed?

On that note if you were a single traveller in 9a would you swap with someone so a couple could be in 9a and 10a together? We had those originally but Virgin changed us to 8a and 10a!

Morning from NYC, to answer you question- my daughter did move so a family can sit closer together. She was flying out on her own and because of an aircraft change from the new configuration to the Dreamliner a family had been split.
#965616 by Lucydog
08 Aug 2022, 11:32
sorry to ask but do they tell you seats have changed and flight times or do you only find out at check in the night before. This has never happend to me in all the years with virgin. Not flying now untill June 2023 Manchester to MCO showing 330 but its a wednesday and looks like the 350 only fly that day. thanks.
#965617 by mitchja
08 Aug 2022, 12:33
VS won’t notify you if there is an A/C config or seat change in your booking unless it comes with a departure or arrival schedule change.

You need to keep checking your online booking. The VS app is the quickest way to do this.
Virgin Atlantic